Jun 29, 2012

REVIEW: Noah (5th Street, #1) by Elizabeth Reyes


I absolutely, positively adored this novel! Elizabeth Reyes you are amazing! Seriously! Having read all the novels in her Moreno Brothers Series, I went into this with great expectations. I already knew this author was extremely talented in her story-telling and this was no different!


Rating: 5/5 stars
If I could give it more I would because that's how great I thought it was. No half stars for this one.
The cover is extremely attractive, it basically represents the book (the hero's a boxer). It's  cute, adorable and hot all in one. I thought the boldness of the boxing gloves was immediately eye-catching. I didn't have to read the blurb to know that boxing was involved.

Noah:
I adored Noah! When we first encounter Noah, he's looking for his real first break to be a trainer at the 5th Street Gym, where he meets our heroine Veronica. When I found out he was nineteen I was like damn . . . young but then it was like Noah heard me (okay it was Veronica) and said his line about age being nothing but an illusion. 
He reminded me a bit of those Moreno boys with his persistence but his patience and just plainly the way he cared for Veronica aka 'Roni' made me melt. And he wasn't shallow, he had seen something in her even when she was overweight. He didn't suddenly become attracted to her after she lost the weight. There was always that gap that I swore Veronica wouldn't close with the qualms about their age differences but I knew this had to work out because they just belonged together. Noah's the kind of guy girls wished they had. He wasn't afraid to commit and he was confident of his feelings about her and them together.


Noah and the boys:
I loved the dynamics of these guys together. This is friendship! They all always had each other's back. The closeness and familial bond among Noah, Gio, Hector and Abel was absolutely endearing! Noah would do anything for each of them and they for him. It was refreshing, that bond, with them being so young. I loved all the scenes with them together. Not just friends but family!


Veronica:
This woman was seriously depressed, in a rut, when her best friend decided to take action and help her get her life back in order. That meant getting back into shape and losing the extra pounds she'd gain while her mother was ill. Veronica was a heroine that basically represented something that can happen to anybody. Fiction is fiction, but this could be a real situation. She'd let herself go as her mother slowly faded away. She'd alienated her boyfriend (well . . .he left her. The douche).
When she meets Noah, her trainer at the gym, she sees all his hotness but she dismisses him because she knew he was way younger than her. 
I personally thought that Noah had a point. Age is really only a number, your as younger as you feel. I'm in my early twenties and I still feel like a teenager . . . sometimes!
I understood her qualms about wanting to just be friends with Noah and not cross that fine line that they were walking between friends and more. She really needed a friend. Someone to be there for her, someone she could count on and she didn't want to risk losing it. Also, Noah was young, she was justified in thinking that he may not be ready for the kind of relationship that she, at 28, would be looking for. Still after he made it clear to her he was serious, admitting after so long how he felt about her, she was still reluctant which I didn't understand. 
What I think it was, as Nellie told her, she hadn't trusted him completely and that's important. I felt like she used their age and their friendship as a cover for her own insecurity about herself and how her past relationship ended.


Noah & Veronica:
They were simply magic together. I absorbed every scene with them together. The dynamic between the two was very well-written. I honestly didn't want the novel to end. The intruders (that's what I call Rita and Derek), just served to amplify the tension in their dynamic. I loved how he set aside his own plans just to be with her. He used every excuse he could, even showing her how to use his iPhone, to be close with her, being cautious and patient in his advances because he knew she was skittish.
Noah's patience could rival a saint! He was overly patient with her. It took him a long time to tell her how he felt. When he told her he loved her, my heart clenched. I hoped for a different reaction from Roni but she made it up in the end scene in the gym.
Boy was that make-up/ declaration hot hot hot! I was smiling from ear to ear and a tad bit jealous! The epilogue was so cute and adorable. 



“If there’s one thing I’ve learned my whole life, time and age are but an illusion.” 
― Elizabeth Reyes, Noah



All in all, this novel was must read. I had it on my Summer Challenge list along with Gio (which I'm very excited to start. I wanted to wait till I got Gio to read Noah so there wouldn't be any waiting! hehehe).
As I was saying, it's a must read! On my keeper-shelf and one of my favorite books of 2012!




Check out my Summer Challenge List here:
http://mscandyreadsalot.blogspot.com/2012/06/summer-reading-challenge.html


Visit me on Facebook & Twitter:
https://www.facebook.com/MsCandyReadsAlot
https://twitter.com/mscandy_1


For the Latest on Author Elizabeth Reyes visit her blog here:
http://authorelizabethreyes.blogspot.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

.

quotes Candy likes


"I am obsessed with you, angel. Addicted to you. You're everything i've ever wanted or needed, everything i've dreamed of. You're everything. I live and breathe you. For you."— Sylvia Day