Dec 18, 2012

REVIEW: V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram

Such a pretty cover! Really totally cute. I love that it has the 'V' necklace that Valerie wears throughout the book. And I will just say, as the second book I've read from this author, it was freakin' fantastic. I really enjoyed this book from start to finish.

Basically to give a little insight, the book is about Valerie who after publicly declaring her virgin status to the entire cafeteria at school becomes somewhat of a home-town hero.

It all happens in a sequence of events; her boyfriend dumping her because she wouldn't put out as she is saving herself for marriage -> seeing said ex-bf swapping spit with one of the girls that Val doesn't get along with -> leads to her declaration -> video is recorded by a school-mate and shared on Youtube 
-> video goes viral -> Valerie becomes known as "Virgin Val."

Valerie Jensen was a very strong heroine that stood very proudly for what she believed in. Something that was infinitely precious and important to her and she realized that she may not be the only person who feels the same way and she becomes an advocate for the silent. She brings them into the fold by sharing her morals with everyone. There were the obvious ones that didn't appreciate her crusade, everything wasn't black or white, there were differences of opinion.

The hero Kyle Hamilton. I really loved Kyle. He's handsome, a home-town rock-star that went to the same school as Val but dropped out after making it big. After meeting Val, Kyle believes he's the man to relieve her of her virgin status. He's cocky and has a huge ego but he's sexy and I found his persistence endearing actually. They had such witty bantering throughout. His blog post after the school festival made me laugh and swoon at the same time.


"The Top Ten Reasons Why Virgin Val Sucks
10. She called me a one-hit-wonder
9. She doesn't appreciate the endearing nickname I gave her.
8. She makes me write stupid blogs about her at four in the morning.
7. She's encouraging people not to have sex.
6. She blew me off when I asked her out.
5. She has a crush on a douche bag.
4. She won't answer any of my calls.
3. She's such a tease with her look-but-don't-touch policy.
2. I played a whole effing concert just for her and she didn't come even though she told me she would. (You're such a liar!)
And the #1 reason why Virgin Val sucks?
I still want her anyway."


There was a lot of relationships that took major hits along the way both friendships and personal. Valerie was running herself thin for her cause and trying to make a difference. There was a lot of emotion, angst, sexual tension (yea I'm talking about Kyle and Val). They had some moments and she kept denying what was going on between them.


“I want you to be honest with yourself,” he said. “You and I have something, and you know it.”
He took my hand and threaded his fingers through mine. “I want you, Val.” He brushed his other hand over my necklace and said, “More than just
this. I want a relationship."


I loved how Kyle never gave up, even when she gave him no quarter. He was still there trying to win her even when it seemed like they probably weren't right for each other. Their ideals so different, I almost thought they wouldn't end up together. The thought was seriously daunting. They were both very honest about what they wanted and what neither could give to the other. To some Kyle's candidness may have been bold but I appreciated his honesty. I liked that he put himself out there and let her know why he couldn't give in all the way. She told him why she couldn't agree to what he was proposing.

Kyle stared at me with a truly tortured expression. “What if I told you I loved you?” he asked quietly. “What if I promised to be with you and only
you?”
I felt tears prick my eyes. “It wouldn't be enough,” I admitted sadly. “If I gave in to you I’d hate myself for it. I’d resent you. I’d always feel like you
didn't love me enough to give me the only thing I asked of you.”

At this point I was ready to cry because in this scene you could see that things couldn't work for them at this point. They both were too different and wanted completely different things from each other. At this point too, Val had run herself too thin and she was losing herself in the image the public had created for her and the persona she had adopted. 

Virgin Val didn't have to disappear entirely, but Valerie Jensen was going to take back her life.


The epilogue was a couple years later. And the end couldn't have more perfect and fitting. But I still couldn't help trying to find more pages hoping they'd just magically be there because now that their time had come, I wanted more with just them. But great book overall.

“I’ll be singing the first single off my new album, and in grand Kyle Hamilton tradition, I've written it for a certain someone who I couldn't
manage to get out of my head.”
He laughed at the expression on my face and then winked. “It’s called, ‘Worth Waiting For.’”


5/5 stars!

For more on Kelly Oram:






0 comments:

Post a Comment

.

quotes Candy likes


"I am obsessed with you, angel. Addicted to you. You're everything i've ever wanted or needed, everything i've dreamed of. You're everything. I live and breathe you. For you."— Sylvia Day