Apr 16, 2013

REVIEW: Lover at Last (BDB, #11) by J.R. Ward


Blay and Qhuinn was the story that has been teasing us since they first kissed a few books back. I don't know about you guys but I've been hooked and very eager for them to finally have their story told. A whole book about them. The Warden did a great job bring these two to their happy ending but I can't say that I was completely satisfied with the book. It was bittersweet finally having these two be the forefront of their own book and I felt that all the other side stories with all these other characters detracted from their story, for me. There was just too much of it and I felt not enough Blay and Qhuinn. 

TEAM QHUAY! These two characters, My heart really ached for these two. Blay who long since realized his feelings for Qhuinn but turned to someone who wanted him rather than the man he loved who didn't. Qhuinn on the other hand who valued Blay like family. They were best friends. Yes I used past tense because when Blay and Saxton got together  there wasn't that bond there between them anymore, but Qhuinn's realization and subsequent confession to Layla of his feelings that just . . . words couldn't explain. So when we finally got a book that was all about them . . . I'll say it again, I was disappointed at the the amount of scenes that were focused on the side characters. I needed more Blay and Qhuinn. It wasn't enough for me.


To the actual story now. As we expected, it wouldn't be a bed of roses for these two. On one hand there was Blay who was reluctant to give into what Qhuinn was offering even though he desperately wanted to because this was the male he loved. And then there's Qhuinn who knows he loves Blaylock with everything but he's having a young with a Chosen and it complicates things. But from the start, Ward showed us that connection of when Qhuinn went through his issues with his family, Blay was there for him. You saw just how close these two were and how far apart they'd grown because of the unresolved issues between them.


“I’m here for you. And I’m so damned sorry….I’m here
for you…."
― Blaylock, Lover At Last


The way Qhuinn just needed Blay. Sigh . . . I just loved these two. he knew that Blay was skittish but he just wanted anything he could get from Blay. He was tender and loving but cautious of Blay's feelings and he just wanted him any way he could have him. When everything went on with Layla, Blay was the first one he turned to. The only one he wanted to be with when things got tough.


“Let me kiss you.” Qhuinn groaned as he leaned in. “I know I don't deserve it, but please ... it's what you can do for me. Let me feel you....”
Qhuinn's mouth brushed his own. Came back for more. Lingered.
“I'll beg for it.” More with the caress of those devastating lips. “If that’s what it takes. I don't give a f**k, I'll beg...” 
― Qhuinn, Lover At Last

When they were together physically even without talking you just knew how much they needed each other. There wasn't the need for crude prolonged loved scenes. What was there told enough about how much these two belonged together. The intensity of their physical yearnings were scorching. I mean Qhuinn totally frazzled Blay on more than one occasion.

“Shit. With Qhuinn looking at him like that, he couldn’t remember his own name. Blaysox? Blacklock? Blabberfox? Who the fuck knew…” 
― Blaylock, Lover At Last

I loved how accepting Blaylock's family was after his confession and even about Qhuinn. What was even more amazing was the Brotherhood making Qhuinn a Brother. Loved that scene.


Zsadist spoke up in the Old Language. “I, Zsadist, son of Ahgony, inducted in the two hundred
forty-second year of the reign of Wrath, son of Wrath, hereby nominate Qhuinn, an orphan in the
world, for membership unto the Black Dagger Brotherhood.”
― Zsadist, Lover At Last

I was kind of disappointed that the story got wrapped up so fast in the end. I'm sure we'll hear more from these two in side stories; Layla's pregnancy, Layla and Xcor. Blay and Qhuinn made up really quickly at the end. In a couple of pages. Thought that could ahve been drawn out a little bit, it was a bit rushed. But all in all it was a good book. I just wished for more moments with Blay and Qhuinn when weren't at odds. There were many scenes like those.

But my third fav couple in this series got their happy ending so I'm happy!


“You are perfect the way you are." Blay's voice was strong. "There is nothing wrong with who and what you have always been. I'm proud of you. And I love you. Now ... and always."
Qhuinn's vision got wavy. Hard-core.
"I'm proud of you. And I love you," Blay repeated. "Always. Forget about your old family ... you have me now. I am your family.” 
― Blaylock, Lover At Last


“You've always had me ... and my heart. My soul. Everything. I wish it hasn't taken this long for me to man up.” 
― Qhuinn, Lover At Last


I need to give special mention to Saxton. He totally earned my respect. He had hope but always knew that Blay would never feel for him what he felt for Qhuinn and he backed down. He let him go. I admired him for that and sympathized as well because he genuinely loved Blaylock.

Sidenote, this was the first of this series and for this author with a novel of an MM romance persuasion and I thought it was great. She didn't make it too sexual. The physical scenes between them weren't about the satisfying of physical urges but the connection between them and the need to be with each other.





4/5 stars

If you're wondering who my No. 1& 2 are:

1. Zsadist and Bella
2. Rhage and Mary


Also in the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series:





Dark Lover (BDB, #1) - Wrath
Lover Eternal (BDB, #2) - Rhage
Lover Awakened (BDB, #3) - Zsadist
Lover Revealed (BDB, #4) - Butch
Lover Unbound (BDB, #5) - Vishous
Lover Enshrined (BDB, #6) - Phury
Black Dagger Brotherhood: An Insider's Guide
Lover Avenged (BDB, #7) - Rehvenge
Lover Mine   (BDB, #8) - John Matthew
Lover Unleashed  (BDB, #9) - Payne
Lover Reborn  (BDB, #10) - Tohrment




Spoiler from J.R. Ward's Facebook from her Cincinatti Event
Apparently I'm not tech savvy enough because I can't figure out how to hide the spoiler of the next book from you so check J.R. Ward's Facebook for that news and even more to look forward to from this amazing series.

For the latest on this series and 
J.R. Ward's other novels:








TEAM QHUAY!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

.

quotes Candy likes


"I am obsessed with you, angel. Addicted to you. You're everything i've ever wanted or needed, everything i've dreamed of. You're everything. I live and breathe you. For you."— Sylvia Day